Sunday, August 28, 2011

Pigs, the new trend...

So I was literally just having a conversation about a necklace from Michele Varian's amazing shop, when it went from jewelry, to rabbits, to the Year of the Rabbit, to the Year of the Pig, to PIGS... The new trend!

Let's explore this... I love a good pig, don't get me wrong, but the new trend?  I don't know, let's see where this blog takes us...

During the conversation with Michele Varian and Ron Foo Chun, Ron posted a picture of this adorable guy because he was born in the Year of the Pig...

Photo courtesy @RonFooChun via Twitter

It got me thinking... I have used a pig or two in my own designs, one of which is actually one of my favorite creations... I've posted about this guy before, but Robert Kuo does such amazing lacquer work, that anything worth saying once, is worth a repeat... This cream lacquered pig seat that sits at the foot of this bed gives just the right amount of whimsy with the right amount of chic.  It's the perfect understated way to bring a little humor to a space with out it becoming a joke...


Also, another amazing creation from Mr. Kuo is this elegant indoor/outdoor hand carved garden stool.  This hunk of Chinese white marble was meticulously chiseled into this handsome little guy that would work in any style of garden or garden room for that matter... The great people over at Sutherland is where you can grab him.


There's always a need for a footstool or ottoman in a home, so why not this handsome one from Omersa and Company?...  He's sturdy, well crafted, and any library or den would be proud to have this bit of livestock taking up residence.


Finally if all these large scale pigs are just too much for you to handle in your home, then maybe just a classic piggy bank is the way to go... This Harry Allen pig bank was actually cast from a real pig that died of natural causes, and would look lovely anywhere from a cocktail table to your child's dresser... Super simple, super functional, and super chic!


So what do we think?  Cochon the new trend?  I don't know, but I can honestly say, I wouldn't mind if it did take off... Boy if pigs could fly...

No comments:

Post a Comment