Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Fresh flowers, never fake...

I just participated in a wonderful chat about flowers the other day with my friends over at #DesignTV on Twitter and it got me thinking about some of my favorite flower options...  Personally I think you should ALWAYS go fresh and not fake.  There's not really a need to explain that, as it's just better. :)  Although I do have to say in the world of succulents, they have come out with some spectacularly faux versions, that I may give a free pass to...

I do think that fresh flowers can transform a room's static appearance to something more organic, homey, warm and luxurious...  The use of flowers or any greenery gives the room more appeal for not just your visual senses, but the amazing scents, the textural feel, it's an essential element in a well designed room...

I think the key to a really great arrangement in a space is restraint.  I prefer to use really no more than about 3 or 4 elements within an arrangement, then the true beauty of each piece is able to sing on it's own and not be drowned out by the visual noise of the competing flora and fauna. 

This is one of Bloom's signature arrangements of tulips... How gorgeously simple is this?  It's tactile, it's colorful, without throwing a thousand unnecessary colors into a space, and it's architectural in its form... Any room would be happy...

Bloom, Signature Tulips

Another one of my favorite "go to" florists in the city is Jane Packer... She has this aesthetic that I love, in celebrating the flower for what it is, and not having to over do it, and sugar coat it.  It's the greens speaking for themselves and the focal elements.  I particularly enjoy the name of this arrangement, "Wicked".

Jane Packer's Wicked arrangement

Lastly, sometimes nature in its purest state is the way to go... I love the smell of gardenia, it's just so lovely.  A small potted plant of blooming gardenia is the perfect way to dress up any area, the flowers are crisp and white, and will go into anyone's decor...

No comments:

Post a Comment