Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Episode 3, Christina Scano's house

Hey there!...  So what are we all thinking of Design Star so far?!...  I'm still there, so that's obviously a good thing.  Episode 3 just aired, so let's recap a bit...

This was our first challenge for a real homeowner, which is obviously the most gratifying, but also pretty damn stressful, knowing already how the game is played, the constraints with time and budget, and needing to produce a phenomenal project for our client...



Meg and I again paired up because of circumstances, which worked out delightfully...  Going another round with Meg was actually much easier than the first challenge.  By this time we had a better sense of how things are done, and how much time should be spent with certain things.  Our personalities did mesh quite well, as we both have definite opinions, but both are willing to take chances and listen to each other as partners, so I was very happy to be working with her again, as opposed to the chaos going on in the adjacent room where Bret, Karl and Cathy were... Yikes!

The lovely Christina Scano wanted a space to entertain her multiple family members while having a BBQ whether it be rain or shine, so Meg and I can up with the idea of making it very beachy, Hamptons-y, Cape Cod-y... You know.  It worked out so perfectly with the division of the room and responsibilities for each of us to take on.

The editing again of a television show is so funny since there were so many elements not mentioned about our room which is puzzling to me.  For instance there was a table that I had refinished that belonged to Christina that the judges LOVED, but not a mention of it.  If I'm not mistaken they loved that more than my wall, but the wall is what got the air time. Oh well, I'm not questioning it, I'm just glad that Christina's reaction to our space was so overwhelmingly positive, that's all Meg and I set out to do...

In terms of the critiques I received from the judging panel, the only thing I can say is, "I agree".  Our space was very pretty and showroom like, which is one of the happy comments Christina actually gave when she walked in, beaming that she was going to show it off to her family.  I know there weren't any personal touches in there, as Meg and I had no personal touches to interject in the space.  Unlike the Callegaris's house, there were no personal trinkets, items or photos anywhere in our space, and we weren't about to go rifling through her drawers upstairs to find things.  The personalization is an easy thing that Christina could do by adding some photos in the frames we purchased, and adding her favorite scented candles or something simple.  Not a big deal...



I'm very satisfied, Meg and I had a game plan and stuck to it producing one of the best before and after rooms for this challenge, and again, most importantly, the client was thrilled!!! 

(All photos from HGTV.com)

2 comments:

  1. I just read this and as the homeowner, I am still trilled!! Thank you for transforming my room and my life. Now it is truly my room! - Christina

    ReplyDelete